Wednesday, September 28, 2005

do pagans like disco?

So far, we have not met with any disapproval from the minister (my uncle) over the wedding ceremony we designed. Of course, *we* are quite thrilled with it, it is a celebration of love in the spirit of nature, and uses an eclectic mix of passages and traditions (including a short passage I ganked from a ceremony intended for "Pagans who must of necessity be wed in the presence of the uninitiated who are not pagan and are perhaps unaware that the bride and groom are pagan"). Seriously though, I'm not pagan...though if I were religious at all, paganism would probably be a top choice. I just don't go for any of the witchcraft/wicca/superstitious stuff, so I could never seriously get involved with that kind of thing. However, for Jeremy and I, the outdoors is our church, so we have incorporated a lot of nature themes into the ceremony. To US, it is a spiritual ceremony.

So tonight we are set to discuss the ceremony over the phone with the minister, and my biggest fear is that he will ask us if the complete absence of the word "God" in the entire thing was intentional (yeah, kind of). In case you are wondering why we are even bothering with a minister when we have a perfectly good JP standing by, the answer is that while I am not in agreement with the evangelical Christian beliefs of many of my family members, I do not feel that my wedding is the place to actually *snub* them. It's also kind of cool to have someone perform the ceremony that actually knows the bride and/or groom (the standby JP happens to be the mother of the groom*, and we'd actually like her to be able to enjoy herself and watch the ceremony). So...anyway...I hope my uncle is not offended by our lack of desire for a lot of rambling on about the Lord and the Holy Spirit on a day where all we want to do is celebrate our love for each other. (Not in the "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love For You"--courtesy of Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack--kind of way, however). Ours is a funky kind of love, best celebrated by disco music from the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack and a few soulful ballads by the likes of Lou Rawls, Al Green, and Barry White.

*Speaking of the mother of the groom...CT just legalized civil unions, and she may just become the first JP in CT to marry a gay couple. (She was hoping to do this!) Way to go, L!

2 comments:

Lever said...

Right on... Pagans dig rock, funk and punk too... I think :S But yeah, know what you mean about the superstitious stuff; failing that buddhism is pretty funky - My aunt told me off though - She kindly reaffirmed to me that "buddhism isn't a religion, it's a way of life..." so there ya go Lever, stick that in your pipe and smoke it... LOL

Kat E said...

Buddhism does seem cool. Of course, anyone who does make their religion "a way of life" (barring freaky cults and hardcore right-wing x-tians, of course), is to be commended, as it seems the overwhelming majority of religious types are pretty damned hypocritical.